finger pres E-mail

Jaroslav Kucera kucera at handihlp.cz
Tue Aug 9 20:12:17 CEST 1994

Dobry den,

>	>     neporadil byste mi nekdo, prosim, jak udelat finger
>	>prostrednictvim E-mailu?
>
>	Kladne jsem ted odzkousel fingermail "jfesler at netcom.com" prazdnym dopisem
>	s radkem  SUBJECT:#finger user at site. Uspesne mailovani preje Vladimir Vrabec.

     Dik, funguje to.
     Pro vsechny, kteri jsou odkazani take jen na E-mail, dovoluji si
pripojit help z "jfesler at netcom.com".
     S pozdravem
						J. Kucera

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 1994 00:19:38 -0700
From: jfesler at netcom.com (Jason Fesler)
Subject: Results of #help

Mtool-Daemon: automated response (do not quote this line when replying to me!)
When sending email to my personal account at Netcom, you may specify any of
the following at the begining of the subject line, to activate one of these
automated processes.  Any email sent to my account, not starting with the #
symbol, will automaticly be forwarded to my home account.

Brief summory of commands:   (ON THE SUBJECT LINE!)
#Cmd: #ACRONYM  {var} Looks up {var} for matching acronyms
#Cmd: #ALMANAC        Looks up today in history (weather, trivia, etc)
#Cmd: #ARCHIE   {var} Performs Archie lookup via email (*see below*)
#Cmd: #AREA     {var} Looks up city, state, country, etc for telephone codes
#Cmd: #CALLNAME {var} Looks up ham radio call signs for person {var}
#Cmd: #CALLHELP       Returns suggestions on how to do ham radio lookups
#Cmd: #CALLSIGN {var} Looks up ham radio call sign {var}
#Cmd: #CALLZIP  {var} Looks up ham radio call signs in zip code {var}
#Cmd: #CITY {cityname}Looks up city for location, elevation, etc
#Cmd: #COKE {var}     Checks out the coke machines on the internet
#Cmd: #FINDCD {search}Search throuch CD (music) catalog ..
#Cmd: #FINGER {user}  Fingers {user} and mails you the results
#Cmd: #GEEK           Returns the current Code of the Geeks
#Cmd: #JARGON {word}  Check the Hacker's Jargon File for a word (try PIZZA)
#Cmd: #LOAD           Shows load at Netcom (bar chart + real numbers)
#Cmd: #MAN   {search} Returns the manual pages for whatever program
#Cmd: #MTV            Gets the MTV Cyber-Sleaze Report from Adam Curry
#Cmd: #NIELSON        Gets the latest Nielson (USA) TV ratings
#Cmd: #PDIAL {search} Get or scan latest PDIAL publc access list
#Cmd: #PI             Returns several hundred digits worth of PI
#Cmd: #ROOT2          Returns several hundred digits worth of SqrRoot(2)
#Cmd: #WEATHER {parms}Returns weather, etc for North America (use #WX -h)
#Cmd: #WEBSTER {word} Look up {word} in dictionay
#Cmd: #WX {parms}     Returns weather, etc for North America (use #WX -h)
#Cmd: #HELP           Shows help file
 The following return UUENCODED files, and _are_ large.
#Cmd: #FX             Gets the latest version of FX-UUCICO + FAQ files (110k)
#Cmd: #GIGO           Latest GIGO: Internet/fidonet gateway (450k+)
#Cmd: #WME            Returns version 1.00 of WME (IBM) (330k)
#Cmd: #WME-BETA       Returns latest beta version of WME [currently 4/14](300k)

Note, that these files are available at ftp.netcom.com:/pub/jfesler/ ..
if you have ftp abilities, please use that method instead of the mail
server, as the overhead is far less.

Extra Notes:

#ACRONYM {word or acronym}
  This function will check a server that contains many of todays often used
acronyms.  You can search for a word (ie, big, large, etc), or a specific
acronym.

#ARCHIE {options}
  This command will run the archie client with the parameters of your
choice.  To get a full list of options available, use #ARCHIE -h ..
Multiple servers are available, with the default being archie.sura.net.
An example search would be #ARCHIE -s waf165

#ALMANAC
  This command "finger"s copi at oddjob.uchicago.edu to do it's dirty work.  A
lot of interesting information that changes from day to day is here.

#AREA {city or country name, or telephone code}
  This function accesses a server which contains most, if not all, of the
telephone area codes and country codes around the world.  Example searches
would be #AREA 916 or #AREA NETHERLANDS.  Good way of finding out what area
code someone is in, also a good way of finding out where someone lives by
their telephone number.

#CALLINFO
  Returns information about the ham radio call-sign lookup server
being operated via telnet callsign.cs.buffalo.edu 2000..

#CALLHELP
  Returns help instructions on ways of narrowing down your searches with
the ham radio functions.  It mentions how to limit by location, name, etc.

#CALLNAME {partial name of ham radio operator}
  Looks up the ham radio call sign database for anybody with the name that
you specify.

#CALLSIGN {ham call sign}
  Looks up a ham radio call sign, and tells you who it belongs to, where
they live, etc.  Handy if you hear an unfamiliar call over the radio.

#CALLZIP {zipcode}
  Looks up all ham radio users for the zipcode that you specify.

#CITY {cityname or zip code}
  This command will return back census information, lattitude, longitude,
and elevation for you.  Particularly useful for ICBMnet..

#COKE {options}
  This option will allow you to check some of the coke machines on the
internet.  Yes, folks, they are real.  Anyone with finger access can finger
these, as well.  #COKE CMU will check the Coke/M&M machine at cs.cmu.edu;
#COKE DRINK and #COKE GRAPH get their information from RIT.

#FINDCD {searchstring}
  This function allows you to search for your favorite author or
title through a catalog of CD's.  Only one search string is allowed per
search (hopefully, I'll make a _real_ program to handle this later).  An
example would be #FINDCD Pink Floyd  or  #FINDCD Dark Side.   Search results
will be limited to 40k; also, you'll get an advertisement at the end on how
to get the complete catalog via ftp, as well as how you can order some of
these CD's via a local merchant.  The rates are usually pretty decent
compared to the local stores, and this guy delivers.. :-)   The entire
catalog can be FTP'd from  ftp.netcom.org:/pub/jfesler ..

#FINGER {user}
  This command will allow you to "finger" any user or site on the internet
that is fingerable.  The results will be sent back as email.  This is
primarilly for people who have only mail access to the internet; many good
things are available, but only by fingering various addresses.

#FX
  If you want the latest copy of FX-UUCICO,along with any associated FAQ
files, etc, sent to your email address, use this command.  You will need a
copy of uudecode to interpret these messages.

#GEEK
  This command returns the current version of the Code of the Geeks.

#GIGO
  This command will send the latest copy of GIGO to your email account.
It will be uuencoded and split up into 9 or 10 different parts; instructions
for reassembling it will also be included.  GIGO is a gateway program that
goes between usenet (UUCP style) and fidonet (.PKT format).

#JARGON  {word}
  This command will check the Hacker's Jargon File v2.99 [April 1992],
for the word you specify.  Most entries are of humourous nature.  One such
word you want to try is #JARGON PIZZA ..
  If you do not specify a word, this function will return back an index of
all searchable keywords.  Use this if you are just browsing.

#LOAD
  This command is useless for anyone who is not on Netcom.  In fact, it's
not all that useful at all, for anything, especially since the people who
are going to need it the most are already online.  But, it is neat...
Makes use of netco.com: /u1/kaminski/pub/bin/grav -g for graph.

#MAN {programname}
  This is an extremely redundant one.  Most people who have need for the man
pages, will have access to a "man" command on their system.  However, just
in case this proves useful to someone.. you can ask for man pages via email.
A sample request would be #MAN sz  to get help on the "sz" program.

#PDIAL {searchstring}    [Defaults to returning ENTIRE PDIAL list]
  This command will allow you to retrieve the latest PDIAL public access
list maintained by Peter Kaminski (kaminski at netcom.com).  If no options
specified, the entire list is sent back (circa 70k).
  You ARE allowed to specify a search string, such as an areacode.  If
given, you will be given only the relavant providers related to the search.
Ie, #PDIAL 916 will return all 916 area providers.  #PDIAL 212 SLIP will
return all SLIP providers in the 212 area code.  #PDIAL NETCOM will return
info about netcom.com.
  Peter Kaminski has given his express permission to use his list via this
function.

#PI
  This function will return to you via email the value of PI, to several
hundred digits accuracy.  The resulting message will be approximately 20-30k
long.

#ROOT2
  This function will retiurn to you via email the value of the square root
of 2, to several hundred digits accuracy.  The resulting message will be
approximately 20-30k.

#WEATHER {abr}
#WX {abr}
  Include a 3 letter city abbreviation, or a 2 letter state abbreviation.
This works on USA and Canadien locations.  Specify #WEATHER HELP or #WX HELP
if you would like help instructions.  Various things from current conditions
and forcasts to ski reports and earthquake data are available.

#WEBSTER {word}
  This command will allow you to look up any word in the English language.
If you have a list of words, you may instead leave the {word} field blank,
and use the message body (one word per line,  _no_ blank lines).  If you can
not get the list method to work, go back to a single message per request.

#WME
#WME-BETA    [this option is only for registered WME sysops]
  These commands return a uuencoded binary of WME, the Windowed Modem
Environment, for IBM compatibles.  It's an ANSI/Avatar based text-driven GUI
for users, that allow users to call up and use their cursor keys to move
about.  Completely hotkeyed, menus are fully programmable, etc, etc.  _Full_
remote sysop capabilities.

#HELP
  You're reading it!

If you know of other easy-to-get information on the internet, that's only a
small command away, and would like to see it added to the list of commands
above, send me email -- if it's reasonable, I'll add it in!
jfesler at netcom.com  * This message brought to you by an automated server!
To obtain help, email jfesler at netcom.com, Subject: #HELP
Comments about this service can be shipped to the same account.
This server speaks only for itself, and not its employer.