The Internet Hunt - May Results

Vladimir Vrabec vrabec at cs.felk.cvut.cz
Mon Jun 6 16:13:58 CEST 1994

Vazeni pratele,
byly zverejneny kvetnove vysledky Gatesova Huntu. Vladimir Vrabec.

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 1994 17:08:33 -0400
From: Rick Gates <rgates at locust.cic.net>

*                                                               *
*                     THE INTERNET HUNT                         *
*                                                               *
*                          RESULTS                              *
*                                                               *
*                       FOR MAY, 1994                           *
*                                                               *

Fast on the heels of the April Results comes the May Results!

The winner in the individual category is:

   Patrick Crispen
   University of Alabama
   Tuscaloosa, Alabama, U.S.A.

...who submitted an entry scoring 36 of 39 points dated Mon, 9
May 1994 21:07:28 -0400

The winners in our team category is:

   Team Twinkie
   Willamette University
   Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.

...who submitted an entry scoring a perfect 39 points dated Mon,
9 May 1994 08:15:05 -0700 (PDT)

Congratulations to all the winners!

Each winning entry will receive:

* A one year subscription to:
  "3W: World Wide Web Newsletter"
  (for more info: contact 3W at ukartnet.demon.co.uk)
  (thanks to Ivan Pope)

* A signed copy of
  "The Internet Guide for New Users" McGraw-Hill, 1993 609 pgs.
  (for more info: Gopher (enews.com) path=1/specialmcgraw-hill/dern
  (thanks to Daniel Dern)

* A signed copy of:
  "The Cuckoo's Egg" Pocket Books, 1989, 356 pgs.
  (thanks to Cliff Stoll)

* A one year subscription to:
  "The Internet Business Journal"
  (for more info: contact Mstrange at Fonorola.Net)
  (thanks to Michael Strangelove)

The winners will be contacted in the next few days for mailing
addresses.

THE HUNT RESULTS
================

Question 1 (3 points)
Question from Alan Shapiro and Karen G. Schneider

Where does Bill Bradley stand on environmental issues?  I'm
especially interested in his position on endangered species.

   Answer:

   Bill Bradley is generally pro-environment.  In particular, he
   voted in 1993 to increase funding for the enforcement of the
   Endangered Species Act.

   Search strategy:

   >From the NCSA WWW page Starting Points for Internet Exploration:
   ---> Internet Services List
   lists two environmental gophers.
   gopher://gopher.econet.apc.org/ gives
   ---> **** 1993 National Environmental Scorecard ****

   Trial and error gives the entry "Voting records and scores: Middle
   Atlantic":

   |          Voting records and scores: Middle Atlantic          |

   Senate Votes:
   =============

   Key: + is pro-environment; - is anti-environment; ? is absence;
   I is Ineligible

   MHTGR ------------------------------+ +------------- EPA Economics
   ALMR -----------------------------+ | | +----------- Wetlands
   Hydro Power --------------------+ | | | | +--------- ASRM
   Ethanol Fuel -----------------+ | | | | | | +------- Endangered Species
   BTU Tax --------------------+ | | | | | | | | +----- Mining Reform
   Grazing - 3'rd Cloture ---+ | | | | | | | | | | +--- Arctic
   Grazing - 1'st Cloture -+ | | | | | | | | | | | | +- California Desert
   Grazing - Delay ------+ | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
   Mining Royalties ---+ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |      LCV Scores
                       V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V   ==== ===== =====
   [...]
   NEW JERSEY
           Bradley (D) + + + + + + + + + + + + + - + +    94%   85%   95%

   The file gopher://gopher.igc.apc.org/00/lcv/Senate-issues on
   the same gopher explains what the various votes were.

   [From Sleepless at Stanford, Stanford University, Stanford,
   California, U.S.A.]

Question #2, designed by Steve Harter, Simon Hernandez, and
Melanie Stallings

I'm a _big_ fan of Mystery Science Theatre 3000.  I've heard a
rumor that there's a nifty piece of software that runs under
Windows that will add Joel and the 'bots to your wallpaper or
desktop pattern and also plays sound bites from some of the
episodes.

Does this program exist?  If so, what is it called and where can I
FTP it?  Finally, do I need anything special in my system to be
able to run it?

Melanie's Note: Credit should be given to those hunters who
demonstrated (by using the Net) how they got "mst3k" as an
acronym for "Mystery Science Theater".

   Answer:

   My first impulse was to search for an FAQ on the subject.  I
   found it readily via VERONICA, searching with the phrase:
   "Mystery Science".  After reading the long document and
   finding nothing, I decided to use the abbreviation used
   often in the FAQ, i.e. "mst3k" to search for a file with
   ARCHIE.

   ARCHIE led me to this anonymous FTP site:
          ftp.cs.odu.edu
          cd pub/mst3k/software/windows
          the file: mst3kwin.txt gave me the answer below.  [The
          actual software is in the same directory.]

   Greetings, fellow MiSTies!  Here it is at last: the MST3K
   Windows wallpaper.  This handy Control Panel will add Joel
   and the 'bots to your existing wallpaper or desktop pattern
   in Shadowrama plus, if you have a soundcard, randomly play
   one of 30 sound bites from various MST3K episodes.  So far,
   I've been really impressed with this program - the
   Shadowrama is nice, and the sound clips were really
   well-chosen (from "Does this bug you? I'm not touching you."
   to "He triiiiied to kill me with a forklift!")  It's big
   (1.2 Meg unzipped), but worth it.

   Note that this file requires VBRUN300.DLL to be in your
   WINDOWS/SYSTEM directory.  I've zipped and uploaded it
   (VBRUN300.ZIP) to ftp.cs.odu.edu, or you can find it on lots
   of other sites (e.g. oak.oakland.edu under
   /pub/msdos/windows3).

   [From Charles Chiesi, State Univ. of New York, Buffalo, U.S.A.]

Question 3 (4 points)
Question designed by John Makulowich & Kimberley Robles

A friend of mine decided to return to school and pursue her
interest in psychology.  Her first course on sensation and
perception covers receptive fields.  She admits to me that
she is having a very hard time with this concept. Knowing I
am fixated on the Net, she asks if there is anything that
might help her get a grasp of this concept.

Kimberley's Note: This question turned out to be harder than we
thought it would be. While several folks found articles on the
e-journal PSYCHOLOQUY, and others found book and/or video
reviews, only five found the resource we did. Perhaps we should
have given more points for this one! The following answers
describe the various methods most used to find it.]

   Whew, what a toughie!  And I have a roundabout answer for
   ya, so there.  Okay, first I tried the obvious, under
   several well-known gopher reference desks looking for
   psychology, but nada.  So next choice - Veronica searches.
   I went down the list of Veronica servers searching
   gopherspace with the keywords "sensation and perception",
   and finally hit something other than course listings when I
   searched the gopherspace at the University of Texas at
   Dallas (what a useful Veronica server).

   Item number 16 on the Veronica result search was entitled
   "Sensation and Perception Tutorial" - bingo!  So I suavely
   saunter down to item 16, select it, and AAAH!!! it's an HTML
   (WWW, Mosaic, Lynx) document!  I glean the page for the
   relevant information - the site's WWW URL, which was:
   http://gopher.hanover.edu:70/

   I then used lynx to go to the above address ("lynx
   http://..."), which was the Hanover home page.  On that
   page, I chose "Hanover_College_Information", then
   "Psychology", then "Hypertext Tutorials Directory", then
   "Sensation and Perception Tutorial", and finally "Receptive
   Fields (one of the most difficult concepts for students to
   understand.)" which brings us to the "Receptive Field
   Tutorial Home Page", which includes definitions and various
   links to further explain the concepts involved with
   receptive fields - everything the psych student needs to
   better understand them.  The final URL of the tutorial is:

   (NOTE: Since it IS a WWW/HTML document, it probably would have been
   possible to use one of the various World Wide Web indexes to find
   the Hanover site named above, but I didn't think about that until
   after I'd already found it via Gopher.)

   [From Team Twinkie at Willamette University, Oregon, U.S.A.]

   Answer: Try the URL
   gopher://gopher.hanover.edu/00/Hanover_College_Information/
   Psychology/tut/recptive.html.

   Search Strategy:
   Veronica search _at_the_UT_Dallas_site_only_ on receptive fields
   yields, among other things, an entry entitled "Receptive Fields
   Tutorial," with the URL above.  Following the link gives us a nice
   WWW page, all about receptive fields.

   [From Sleepless at Stanford, Stanford University, California,
   U.S.A.]

   ANSWER: Check out the Receptive Field Tutorial Home Page at the
   following URL (keep it all on one line, though):

   http://gopher.hanover.edu:70/0/Hanover_College_Information
   /Psychology/tut/recptive.html

   SEARCH STRATEGY: After hunts through LISTSERVs, WAIS indexes and
   Veronica proved fruitless, we decided to give the Web a try. We
   went through various Web indexes until we came to the Internet
   Resources Meta-Index
     at http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/Mosaic/MetaIndex.html.
     The first index on its list is the W3 Catalog at CUI in Geneva.

   The W3 Catalog comes up with a forms-based search. We entered
   "sensation and perception", the name of the course in the question.
   This returned a catalog entry dated April 24, 1994 for Hanover
   College's psychology department. One of the resources it provides
   is "tutorials in sensation and perception." This is another Web
   link which offers "Receptive Fields (One of the most difficult
   concepts for students to understand.)."

   [From The UTK Internet Hunt Club, University of Tennessee at
   Knoxville, U.S.A]

Question #4 (2 points)
Question designed by Richard Lee Holbert, Billie Peterson,
Tony Safina & Dr Gerald R. Viers

I'm from a rather small community and was rather pleased to
have the opportunity to attend a recent computer workshop in
Chicago.  The presenter often used the term *MAN* in her
presentation when referring to her own job duties.  What,
pray tell, is a MAN?

   ANSWER:

   Metropolitan Area Network (MAN)
   A data network intended to serve an area approximating that of a
   large city.  Such networks are being implemented by innovative
   techniques, such as running fiber cables through subway tunnels.
   A popular example of a MAN is SMDS.

   SOURCE:

   Gopher access to gopher.lib.umich.edu
    to <menu> General Referenece Resources
    to <menu> Internet Guides and Resources
    to <search> Internet Users Glossary (search)
       use MAN as the search keyword.

   [From Patrick Crispen, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa,
   Alabama, U.S.A.]

Question #5 (3 points)
Question designed by Dee Baldwin, Gerard Egan, Bill Wilson,
& Laura Windsor

Last year I planted St Augustine grass in my yard. Now the
leaf blades have yellow mottling. I am not a master
gardener. What is the name of the turf grass disease and how
do I treat it?

   ANSWER: The disease is St. Augustine decline, a viral
   disease. Use reistant St. Augustine grass varieties.

   SEARCH STRATEGY: My commerical Internet provider uses The
   News & Observer as its 'home' gopher menu. Under "The
   Electronic Book Shelf" is a selection for "Gardening." This
   brings back the Master Gardener files. But this gopher menu
   is incomplete. So, a moved back to the main U. of Tennessee
   library gopher at gopher.lib.utk.edu and queried Veronica at
   University of Cologne for "master gardener."  This was most
   promising:

   26. Full text search of Master Gardener Menus <?>

   I then searched this index for "augustine". No good. Search
   "turf grass" was less specific and found this information:

   1.  Full text search of Turf Grass Information Files <?>

   Now, I searched for "augustine" and found:

   1.  All Turf Grasses.

   Searching this file for "augustine" returned:

   TURFGRASS
   Problems Common to Turfgrass
   SYMPTOMS             POSSIBLE CAUSES      CONTROLS AND COMMENTS
   [...]
   Leaf blades show     -St. Augustine decline   -Use resistant
   yellow mottling on      (viral disease)         St. Augustine
   St. Augustine grass                             grass varieties

   [Submitted by The UTK Internet  Hunt Club]

Question 6 (4 points)
Question designed by Judy Hayes, Anthony Stevens
& Lu Wilson

I love playing the awesome game called DOOM for the PC. A
friend was telling me about a site that has nothing but Doom
stuff.  What is address of this 'DOOM only FTP site'? and
what directory are the files in?

   I started this one by searching FAQs -- the easiest way to
   do this is to search the news.answers-faqs WAIS index, at
   ftp.eunet.ch.  Searching this index on "doom" revealed
   several intriguing choices, including the FAQ for
   msdos-archives.  Part 2 of this document (available via FTP
   at bloom-picayune.mit.edu:/pub/usenet-by-group
   /news.answers/msdos-archives as the file part2)
   contains the following text:

   DOOM  **** Highly Recommended ****
   ++++

   There is also the directory /msdos/Games/ID where you can
   find DOOM - a newly-released, 3-D, virtual-reality,
   Wolfenstein-like, action-oriented game from ID ... The
   latest version (at the time of writing) is 1.2 ...  (BTW,
   the official site is /pub/msdos/games/id at ftp.uwp.edu ...
   and some unofficial editors/cheats can be found in
   /pub/msdos_uploads/games/doomstuff at ftp.wustl.edu ...).
   Read comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action for the latest info ...

   At first I was inclined to beleive that the "doomstuff"
   directory was what I searched for.  However, I checked
   comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action for the latest info.  I found a
   reference to an FTP site at ftp.uwp.edu.  When I ftp'd
   there, the welcome message informed me that:

     MS-DOS Games (Doom home-brew)
                     ocf.unt.edu:/pub/doom

   I logged into this site, and when I changed directory into
   "/pub", I got the following welcome message:

   Welcome DOOM player.

   You have logged into OCF.UNT.EDU, the latest and greatest
   486/25 running FREEBSD 386 hooked up to the Internet!  Also
   known as The DOOM onlyFTP.  The section of OCF is dedicated
   solely to DOOM.

   OCF is currently limited to 20 users at peak times and 30
   users at night.  Even with these limits, we are servicing
   4000 users per day.  We are not affilitated with Id
   Software.  We do this for FREE.

   NEWUSERS!  Please see the faq in the /pub/doom/text
   directory under the name doom56.faq.  This file is a must
   for ALL doom players.

   barry at noc.unt.edu

   The files NEWFILES.TXT and FILELIST.TXT have been updated.

   Please read the file README it was last modified on Tue Apr
   26 21:30:25 1994 - 13 days ago

   The line "Also known as The DOOM onlyFTP." leads me to
   beleive that this is the answer you seek.

   Yowza.

   [From Team Twinkie, Willamette University, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.]

Rick's Note: Some of the later entrants discovered that the
site above had been closed down, right in the middle of the
Hunt!  So the Doom-only site is no more, but (as with many
Net-things), there are other ways...  Gail Gurman's answer
illustrates:

   Answer: I guess I'll just quote from the alt.games.doom FAQ:

   Q. Is there an FTP site used primarily for DooM-related
   files and programs?

   A> Not any more! On Tuesday May 10 1994, the primary
   Doom-only FTP site at ocf.unt.edu was ordered shut down by a
   University of North Texas administrator: "Activites not
   UNT-related can't use UNT resources".  In this Mini-FAQ, the
   references to ocf.unt.edu have been replaced by OCF.IS.GONE.
   The mirror sites will have the directories and files, so
   just translate the old ocf directory paths to the mirror
   paths.  The FTP server that was at ocf.unt.edu
   (129.120.9.151), administered by Barry Bloom
   <barry at noc.unt.edu>, was dedicated to DooM, and only DooM!

   A well-designed subdirectory hierarchy reduces clutter
   and search time:

   /pub/FILELIST.TXT & NEWFILES.TXT list /pub tree and past
   weeks' changes.

   A *.txt info file *must* accompany all binary uploads to
   /pub/incoming.

   The sites and paths that mirrored ocf.unt.edu:/pub/doom
   are:

   mtf108.rh.psu.edu:/pub/doom                  (last mirrored ??? ??)
   ftp.orst.edu:/pub/gaming/doom/doom           (last mirrored May 05)
   ftp.uni-erlangen.de:/pub/pc/msdos/games/ID/doom-stuff   (May 08)
   infant2.sphs.indiana.edu:/pub/doom       (only has subset of files)
   ftp.uwp.edu:/pub/msdos/games/id/home-brew/doom (incomplete mirror)

   [From Gail Gurman, University of California at Berkeley,
   California, U.S.A.]

Question 7 (3 points)
Question designed by Carol and Neil Enns

Help! My geology prof. is a visiting US scholar, here at Brandon Univeristy
in Manitoba, Canada. Her specialty is earthquakes, and our major assignment
is (you guessed it!) all about earthquakes in Canada. We have to find out
which non-coastal areas of Canada are high hazard for earthquakes. Another
question in the assignment is to find when and where the most recent
significant earthquake occured in Canada.

Where will I find answers to these, and is there a contact for more
information on Canadian earthquakes? There are 8 more questions in the
assignment!

   gopher wealaka.okgeosurvey1.gov
   15. VERONICA: BOOLEAN SEARCHES OF ALL GOPHERSPACE/
   2.  Search gopherspace at University of Cologne <?>
       search for: earthquakes
   55. Earthquakes in Canada.

   Other high hazard areas include...the southern Yukon
   Territory, the Mackenzie Valley in the Northwest
   Territories, the Arctic Islands and parts of Ontario and
   Quebec (especially the Ottawa and St. Lawrence valleys).

   If significant is defined as magnitude 6 or more, there is a
   list:

   Date      Magnitude        Location

   1988      6.0              Saguenay region, Quebec
   1985      6.6 and 6.9      Nahanni region, Northwest Territories
   1982      5.7 and 5.4      Miramichi region, New Brunswick
   1979      7.2              Southern Yukon-Alaska border
   1970      7.4              South of Queen Charlotte Islands, British Co.

   Also this information on contacts:

   For further information on earthquakes contact:

   Geological Survey of Canada
   Pacific Geoscience Centre
   Box 6000
   Sidney, British Columbia
   V8L 4B2
   (604) 356-6500^LGeological Survey of Canada
   Geophysics Division
   1 Observatory Crescent
   Ottawa, Ontario
   K1A 0Y3
   (613) 995-5548

   The gopher link to this information was:

   #
   Type=0
   Name=Earthquakes in Canada
   Path=0/NRCan-Info-English/gsc/earthqk
   Host=gopher.emr.ca
   Port=70

   [Leonard Ladies Hunt Team, Grades 7 & 8, Leonard School,
   Leonard, Oklahoma, U.S.A.]

Question #8: (7 points)
Question designed by  Walt Howe and Hope N. Tillman

  "An English acquaintance of mine insists that the first
   electronic computer was the Colossus. Where was it
   developed, and what was it used for?"

Walt and Hope's Note: Question 8 was born while tunneling
through gopherspace and discovering a file that described
the effort to create a museum at Bletchley Park, England,
with a replica of the original Colossus computer used to
break the German Enigma code in World War II. We verified
that a simple Veronica search for Colossus would not yield
any useful results--in fact it would most likely lead
hunters astray to the Colossus computer used in the entirely
fictional movie, "The Forbin Project." We wrote the question
with enough clues to rule out the Forbin Project (first
electronic computer, which the Forbin Colossus certainly was
not).

Team Twinkie, in their submission, describes the approach we
expected most to use:

   "The Colossus was developed at Bletchley Park and was used
   for cryptanalysis.

   "This was quite a difficult (for me!!) to discover.  After
   determining that the this colossus was not a member of the
   X-men and not part of the 'legendary' movie, I browsed
   looking for things on the history of electronics and
   computing.  I really thought that the info.computer.org
   gopher, which as it turned out had lots of neat IEEE stuff,
   should have had the answer, but no, I finally found it by
   doing the following veronica search and following this path:

   20. Search gopherspace by veronica at UNINETT/U. of Bergen <?>
       search for:  history computer

       9.  Computer History Project/
         2.  Existing museums, exhibitions, and organizations/
           2.  Europe/
             3.  Great Britain (6 entries)/
               4.  Bletchley Park, Milton Keynes"

   [Walt and Hope: This is the file that they found there, and
   provides the complete answer:]

   Bletchley Park

   The Bletchley Park Trust
   The Stable Yard
   Bletchley Park
   Milton Keynes, UK

   Telephone: +44 908 64 04
   04

   In process of being set up, early
   1994.

   The site is where important cryptanalysis was done during
   World War 2, and where the world's first (?) electronic
   computer, Colossus, was developed and used.  The site is in
   process of being secured as a national museum campus with
   museums of cryptography, computing, radar and other
   high-tech themes.  Many of the World War 2 buildings remain.
   The headquarters of the Computer Conservation Society will
   move to Bletchley.  There is a plan to build a replica of
   Colossus.

   [From Team Twinkie, Willamette University, Salem, Oregon,
   U.S.A.]

Question 9 (3 points)
Question designed by Melody Winkle

How about something like this: I've taken up juggling, and would like to
find some more ideas on what kinds of things I can do.  I thought watching
movies with juggling in them would be a great source of ideas.  Where can I
find such a list?

Rick's Note: Lots of folks found the juggling-in-movies
reference, but few gave more complete information than Walt
Linden.

   nn
   G rec.juggling

   Here I found the FAQ file, as well as articles on the new
   Listserv gateway at LISTSERV at PNFI.FORESTRY.CA. The FAQ gives
   the Juggling Information Service page at
   http://www.hal.com/services/juggle, and the ftp site at
   moocow.cogsci.indiana.edu, directory /pub/juggling.

   First I telnet to www.njit.edu, login as www, and when lynx
   loads, "Go" to the JIS reference.

   Follow link 12 to "Juggling in the Media".
   (or go direct to http://www.hal.../juggle/info/media.html)

   From there, link 3 to "Juggling in the Movies".
   (or direct to http://www.hal.../juggle/info/juggling-in-movies)

   This is a massive annotated list of movies (mostly mass
   releases) with juggling scenes.

   Going back to the JIS home page, we follow the link "News
   and Old News" for the rec.juggling archive. There is a link
   here which promises wais-like searching, but I could not get
   this to work, as I got a chronological listing of ALL
   articles.

   However, I saw some referring to a video of Michael Moschen,
   one of today's most celebrated jugglers. On fetching the
   articles through their own links, this proved to be the PBS
   program "In Motion With Michael Moschen", and we are told
   that it can be ordered:

   "it is commercially available from WNET in Vermont here is
   the Phone number:"

    (800)336-1917
   Title: Great Performances - Dance in America
    "In motion with Michael Moschen"
   Cost: $19.95 plus $3.50 shipping & handling

   Since several articles referred to IJA videos, the IJA might
   be a source.  Return to the JIS home page and follow links
   to "International Juggling Association" and "Information on
   the IJA".

   The address of the International Juggling Association is:
   P.O. Box 218
   Montague, MA  01351-0218

   Now, if you can not use WWW:

   ftp moocow.cosgsci.indiana.edu
   cd pub/juggling
   get info/juggling-in-movies
   get ija/info

   For the data from the newgroup archives, use mail to

   LISTSERV at PNFI.FORESTRY.CA
   SUBSCRIBE JUGGLING Firstname Lastname
   (after searching through indexes..)
   SEARCH juggline/rec.juggling-digests video

   returning excerpts from the relevant articles

   [From Will Linden, <wlinden at maestro.com>]

Question 10 (5 points)
Question designed by Anthony Stevens

What is Clifford Stoll's next book going to be about?

      Now this one shouldn't have taken us as long as it did.
   Here we go...  First, start off with a longshot - a Veronica
   search of gopherspace for "cuckoo", which was the title of
   Cliff's previous book (_The Cuckoo's Egg_).

   The only Veronica server I could connect to at the time was
   the server at UNINETT/University of Bergen, which returned a
   list of various things with the word "cuckoo" in them,
   including some references to Cliff's book.  I started at the
   top, searching each reference that looked interesting, until
   I happened across #48, "- The Cuckoo's Egg".

   I followed the link, and the result appeared to be some sort
   of description of the book - title, author, publisher, ISBN,
   etc., followed by a short summary.  Looking closer I found a
   line in the header that read "Suggested-By: Cliff Stoll
   <cliff at cfa.harvard.edu>".

   Email addresses are good - we'd tried checking his Berkeley
   address but found nothing of importance.  So we quickly quit
   Gopher and fingered Cliff at his Harvard address, which gave
   us this...

   ::
   [cfa.harvard.edu]
   Login name: stoll                            In real life: Cliff Stoll
   Directory: /u1/mailusers/stoll       Shell: /bin/csh
   Never logged in.
   Plan:

      Cuckoo!

   This is Cliff's mailbox.  Mail sent here will follow my
   footprints and tickle my computer.

   I'm now writing a book about astronomy and telescopes.
   Watch for it this fall!

   -Cliff Stoll
   ::

      So, it looks like his next book will be about "astronomy
   and telescopes".  Q.E.D.

   [From Team Twinkie, Willamette University, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.]

Extra Credit Question (1 point)
Question designed by Rick Gates

The flag of Sri Lanka depicts a lion holding a sword.  With
which paw does the lion wield the sword?

   Answer: With its right paw.

   I used Mosaic to access the WWW and looked through the WWW
   Virtual Library list "by Subject." Under this I found
   "Geography". Here, under "Information about Countries," I
   chose "WWW VL: Asian Studies." On this page, I chose "WWW
   Quick Access Nodes"

   (http://coombs.anu.edu.au/CoombswebPages/CoombsAccessNodes.html)
   after failing to find Sri Lanka in the list of countries.
   Here I found a link to the "Sri Lankan Home Page"
   (http://suif.stanford.edu/~lanka/sri_lanka.html) (actually
   located at Stanford University). Here a Stanford student has
   included lots of interesting information about Sri Lanka,
   including a picture of the National Flag!

   [From Gail Gurman, University of California at Berkeley, U.S.A.]

Rick Gates                       rgates at locust.cic.net
Student & Lecturer
Univ. of Arizona                 (602) 621-3958
1515 E. 1st St.
Tucson, AZ  85719