kvetnove otazky pro THE INTERNET HUNT

Vladimir Vrabec vrabec at cs.felk.cvut.cz
Tue May 10 11:22:30 CEST 1994

Vazeni pratele,

prestoze nebyly doposud oficialne zverejneny vysledky dubnove
souteze, mame tady jiz otazky pro kveten. Otazky byly poprve za
dobu existence souteze pripravovany kolektivem priznivcu teto
souteze. Zdravi
                 Vladimir Vrabec

*                                                               *
*                     THE INTERNET HUNT                         *
*                                                               *
*                         QUESTIONS                             *
*                                                               *
*                       FOR MAY, 1994                           *
*                                                               *
*      Answers due by Midnight (GMT -0700) Sunday May 15        *
*                                                               *

SOMETHING NEW
=============
The April Hunt (lessee, I put those results around here somewhere),
was the last Internet Hunt drawn up on my own.  In an attempt to
breathe some new life into the Hunt, and to help insure that questions
and results appear in a more timely manner, I've recruited a group of
folks to help with the Hunt.  This month's Hunt is their first effort.

Those that are helping (Huntmeisters, Hunt Helpers... stay tuned
for a name), have skills ranging from novices to former Hunt winners.
They're good people, and they're bringing a useful/fun tool to the
Net.  Thanks to them all!

THE RULES
---------

1. There are a total of 12 questions.  The first 11 questions all
count toward your score.  I have personally verified that each of
these can be answered using only the resources of the Net.  These are
contrived questions.

2. The last question is the mystery question.  I don't know if there's
an answer to this on the Net.  I may or may not have tried to find
one.  These questions usually come to me from people asking for
information.  This is a real question.

3. Each of these first 11 questions carries a value in parentheses.
This point value is my best guess on how tough that question is to
answer.  The scale is 1 (easy), to 10 (hard).  Total points for all
questions is listed after the last question.

4. Answer as many questions as you can.  Partial credit is awarded.

5. Teams are allowed to submit entries.  These must be designated as
such.  Pick a team name.  Team entries will be scored separately from
individual entries.

6. All answers must be mailed to me.  My standard signature will
be at the bottom of this message.

7. The contest will run for one week from the date of posting of this
message.  The deadline should appear in the header at the top of this
message.

8. Feel free to send me potential question for the Hunt, be they
scored, or mystery.

9. I consider this and all Hunt files to be in the public domain.
There is also the possibility that your answer(s) may be used in a
publication somewhere.

10. Have fun!  What's it all for, after all?

SCORING
-------

1. Whoever correctly answers all the questions first shall be declared
the winner.

2. In the event that nobody answers all the questions, the player
with the highest point total shall be declared the winner.

3. If there is a tie for highest point total, the player who
responded first shall be declared the winner.

4. Assume you're answering the question for someone who understands
the basic network tools (ftp, telnet, finger, gopher, etc.), but just
doesn't know where the data is.  Answers like:

        ftp host.university.edu

...will not score as high as:

        anonymous ftp to host.university.edu
        cd /pub/documents
        file is called important.txt.Z

For instance a URL by itself is not sufficient.  Don't feel that you
have to detail how to use a particular tool.  Instead, tell me the
steps you've taken to find your answers, what tool you used to find
it, and if necessary, the end information itself.  I need to be able
to recreate the steps you took in your search process.

5. It's always a good idea to let us know how you decided where to
begin looking.  After all, we can't have everyone thinking that you're
all geniuses with innate Net-knowledge!  :-)

6. Read the question carefully.  If it's asking for specific
information (like "What is the chorus to Jingle Bells?"), then supply
that info in your answer.  Sometimes you may find a pointer to a
source that no longer exists.  Providing the end information tells me
that you actually checked the source out.

THE HUNT
================
Total points: 39

Question 1 (3 points)
Question from Alan Shapiro and Karen G. Schneider

Where does Bill Bradley stand on environmental issues?  I'm
especially interested in his position on endangered species.

Question 2 (4 points)
Question designed by Melanie Stallings Simon Hernandez and
Steve Harter

I'm a _big_ fan of Mystery Science Theatre 3000.  I've heard
a rumor that there's a nifty piece of software that runs
under Windows that will add Joel and the 'bots to your
wallpaper or desktop pattern and also plays sound bites from
some of the episodes.

Does this program exist?  If so, what is it called and from
where can I FTP it?  Finally, do I need anything special in
my system to be able to run this program?

Question 3 (4 points)
Question designed by John Makulowich & Kimberley Robles

A friend of mine decided to return to school and pursue her
interest in psychology.  Her first course on sensation and
perception covers receptive fields.  She admits to me that
she is having a very hard time with this concept. Knowing I
am fixated on the Net, she asks if there is anything that
might help her get a grasp of this concept.

Question 4 (2 points)
Question designed by Richard Lee Holbert, Billie Peterson,
Tony Safina & Dr Gerald R. Viers

I'm from a rather small community and was rather pleased to
have the opportunity to attend a recent computer workshop in
Chicago.  The presenter often used the term *MAN* in her
presentation when referring to her own job duties.  What,
pray tell, is a MAN?

Question 5 (3 points)
Question designed by Dee Baldwin, Gerard Egan, Bill Wilson,
& Laura Windsor

Last year I planted St Augustine grass in my yard. Now the
leaf blades have yellow mottling. I am not a master
gardener. What is the name of the turf grass disease and how
do I treat it?

Question 6 (4 points)
Question designed by Judy Hayes, Anthony Stevens
& Lu Wilson

I love playing the awesome game called DOOM for the PC. A
friend was telling me about a site that has nothing but Doom
stuff.  What is address of this 'DOOM only FTP site'? and
what directory are the files in?

Question 7 (3 points)
Question designed by Carol and Neil Enns

Help! My geology prof. is a visiting US scholar, here at
Brandon Univeristy in Manitoba, Canada. Her specialty is
earthquakes, and our major assignment is (you guessed it!)
all about earthquakes in Canada. We have to find out which
non-coastal areas of Canada are high hazard for earthquakes.
Another question in the assignment is to find when and where
the most recent significant earthquake occured in Canada.

Where will I find answers to these, and is there a contact
for more information on Canadian earthquakes? There are 8
more questions in the assignment!

By the way, the assignments are paperless. We students
received them via e-mail and they are to be "handed in" the
same way. Our prof. is really neat - we're learning a lot
from her!

Question 8 (7 points)
Question designed by  Walt Howe and Hope N. Tillman

An English acquaintance of mine insists that the first
electronic computer was the Colossus. Where was it
developed, and what was it used for?

Question 9 (3 points)
Question designed by Melody Winkle

How about something like this: I've taken up juggling, and
would like to find some more ideas on what kinds of things I
can do.  I thought watching movies with juggling in them
would be a great source of ideas.  Where can I find such a
list?

Question 10 (5 points)
Question designed by Anthony Stevens

What is Clifford Stoll's next book going to be about?

Extra Credit Question (1 point)
Question designed by Rick Gates

The flag of Sri Lanka depicts a lion holding a sword.  With
which paw does the lion wield the sword?

Mystery Question (0 points)

Where can I find more information on a composite building
material of concrete and styrofoam called rastra?  I'm
interested in knowing how long it's been around, and what
it's R-value is.

Rick Gates                       rgates at locust.cic.net
Student & Lecturer
Univ. of Arizona                 (602) 621-3958
1515 E. 1st St.
Tucson, AZ  85719