vra> FAQ-Slovakia (fwd)

Vladimir Vrabec vrabec at cs.felk.cvut.cz
Mon Oct 3 01:59:25 CET 1994

Date: Sat, 1 Oct 1994 08:20:50 EDT
From: sever%%husc.harvard.edu%HULAW1.HARVARD.EDU at earn.cvut.cz
Subject: FAQ-Slovakia
To: Multiple recipients of list E-EUROPE <E-EUROPE at PUCC.BITNET>

Newsgroups: bit.listserv.e-europe
From: Ivan Sever <sever at husc.harvard.edu>
Date: 30 Sep 94 13:22:25 EDT

>>FAQ - (about) SLOVAKIA <<
Part I, #9 (Oct.. 1994)

Name:  Slovenska Republika (Slovensko)
Area: 49 035 sq. km (18 932 sq miles)
Population: 5 310 154 (1993)
Official Language: Slovak
Bordering Countries:  Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, Hungary, Austria
Capital: Bratislava (Population 441 500)
President: Michal Kovac
Prime Minister: Jozef Moravcik

Currency: Slovak Crown (Sk)
Approximate Exchange Rate:  U.S.$ = 34 Sk
Cash Machines:
 Cirrus (800) 424-7787
 The Plus Network: (800) 843-7587
      *Mastercard, Eurocard, Eurocheque, VISA*

Postcard to U.S.  6 Sk
Letter to U.S.   9 Sk
Postcard to G.B. 5 Sk
Letter to G.B.  8 Sk
(Stamps can be purchased only at the post office. Public transportation
tickets can be purchased at "PNS" or "Tabak" outlets.)
TIPPING CUSTOMS:
Round the bills up by about 10%
STORE HOURS:
Generally 8-6 (many with a 12:30 to 1:30 lunch break)
*Banks may close at 3:30*
Saturday, most stores close at 1 or 2
Sunday, almost none are open

Time zone: GMT+1 (seasonal changes)
Voltage: 220V/50Hz
Video System: PAL/SECAM

Country's Telephone Code: 42
Local calls from public phones:  2 Sk (6 min)
Local Phone Inquiries: 120
International Inquiries: 0149
(Pre-paid phone cards can be purchased at local "Tabak" or "PNS" outlets)
AT&T Operator: 00-420-00101
MCI Operator: 00-420-0011
Bell Canada Operator: 00-420-00151

EUnet Slovakia provides Internet services in Slovakia since 1989:
 Phone:       (42-7) 725-306
 Fax:           (42-7) 728-462
 E-mail:      ivan at sk2eu.eunet.sk (Ivan Lescak)

Speed Limits:
4-lane highway: 110 kph (70 mph)
open roads: 90 kph (55 mph)
build-up areas: 50 kph (35 mph)
Speeding fines: 1000 Sk (payable on the spot)
Seat belts: Compulsory
Pay attention to 'inconspicuous' looking cars (mostly Skoda Favorits, but
also VW Golf and Renault 21) parked at the side of the road. On the
highways, for pacing they use stronger cars (Fords etc.) with cameras
filming the speedometer and your car. On the outskirts of bigger towns,
the main practice is the use of photo radar; this is safe for tourists,
as it takes long time for the police bureaucracy to process all the
data...   :-)
But if you get in trouble with the police and they want money from you,
you can always try to go down to 500 SK.  (say you're a student)

Alcohol limit is 0.0 in Slovakia, so don't risk it.

"Gas/petrol (benzin) comes in 2 types: super (96 octane) and special (90
octane) both leaded. The unleaded is called "natural", is available at
major stations and in bigger cities may come in 2 "flavors", as well.
(Diesel fuel is called "nafta"). The APPROXIMATE cost per U.S. gallon is
just under $2.50. (About 20 Sk/litre).
Remember: stations aren't as frequent as in Western Europe, many close
for lunch and only some are open past 6 P.M. Get a list of 24-hour ones
from Satur!"

Emergencies:
Police (tel. 158)
Ambulance (tel. 155)
ZS Slovakia Alfa (tel. 154) - towing
Fire: (tel.150)

National Holidays:
Jan. 1, Easter Mon., May 1, May 8, July 5, August 29, Sept. 1, Nov. 2,
December 24-26

Climate: (Bratislava)
Average Temperatures:
Jan:  2C (36F)  May: 21 (70)   Sep:  22 (72)
Feb:  4  (39)   Jun: 24 (75)  Oct: 15  (59)
Mar:  9  (48)  Jul: 26 (79)   Nov:  8  (46)
Apr:  16  (61)   Aug: 26 (79)   Dec:  4  (39)
NOTE: Tatra Mountains are much cooler year-round!

Airline Connections
Through Prague: Czechoslovak Airlines
(U.S. & Canada): (800) 223-2365
(London): 44(071) 255-1898
Delta (800) 241-4141

Through Vienna:
 (Schwechat Airport lies only 50 km (30 miles) west of Bratislava)
=Departure times of buses from Vienna airport (Schwechat) to Bratislava:
(The trip takes approx. 1 - 1.5 hours, depending on traffic at the border)
      8:20,    10:20*     11:50,   13:20,   15:20,   17:20,   18:50*,
20:50,    22:50
(*not on Sunday)
*Departure times for hydrofoil boats:
leave Vienna at 9AM-- arrive in Bratislava at 10AM
leave Vienna at 6:45PM -- arrive in Bratislava 7:45
(after Sept. 15: the 2nd trip leaves at 4:45P.M. instead
 After October 16: no ships until 16th of April.)
Contact:
Blue Danube Travel in Bratislava.  Fajnorovo nabr. 2
Ph. 0042-7 (36-22-62) or 0042-7 (36-22-58).
Fax: 0042-7 (33-39-05) or 0042-7 (36-35-01).
(NOTE: Fares are lower for Slovaks than foreigners!)

Addresses in Bratislava:
U.S. Embassy: Hviesdoslavovo 4 (07/33-59-32)
British Embassy: Panska 17 (07/33-59-22)
Main Post Office: Namestie SNP 36

Slovak Embassy:
*2201 Wisconsin Avenue, N.W., Suite 380, Wash. DC (202) 965-5160
  Fax: (202) 965-5166; visa/passport phone number: (202) 965-5164
*50 Rideau Terr., Ottawa, On. (613) 749-4442
*47 Culgoa Circuit, O'Malley Canberra A.C.T. 2606
  Tel. +61 6/290 15 16
  Fax  +61 6/290 17 55
Visa requirements:
 -U.S. and G.B. citizens:
 -Up to 30 days: not necessary (with valid passport)
 Canadian citizens:
-Visa  (C$50) required

NOTE: Much more detailed info on any of the above subjects can be
accessed via any of the following methods:
-anonymous ftp: ftp.eunet.sk, subdirectory slovakia
-gopher: gopher.eunet.sk
-WWW (Mosaic etc): http://www.eunet.sk/

>> FAQ - SLOVAKIA (Tourist Info)<<
Part II, #9 (Oct. 1994)

Slovak Embassy:
 *2201 Wisconsin Avenue, N.W., Suite 380, Wash. DC (202) 965-5160
   Fax:    (202) 965-5166
 *50 Rideau Terr., Ottawa, On. (613) 749-4442
Visa requirements:
 -U.S. and G.B. citizens:
 -Up to 30 days: not necessary (with valid passport)
 Canadian citizens:
-Visa  (C$50) required

Slovakia Travel Service
10 East 40th Street, Suite 3601, New York, NY 10016
(212)  213-3865, fax (212) 213-4461.
17-18 Old Bond St, London 44(071/629-6058)
Czechoslovak Airlines:
U.S. & Canada: (800)223-2365
London:  44(071/255-1898)

Selected Regions & Some Cities:
*Bratislava
*High Tatra Mountains (Vysoke Tatry)
  Smokovec
  Poprad
  Zdiar
*Cental Region
  Banska Bystrica
  Zilina
*Eastern Slovakia
  Kosice
  Presov
"Off the beaten track":
Bardejov
Levoca
("It's a totally intact medieval town surrounded by a circular wall, with
a lovely town square with old buildings and a stunning Gothic cathedral
with the world's largest Gothic carved wooden altar, all this being
overlooked by a newer pilgrimage cathedral on a high hill.  Also nearby
is the Spissky Hrad castle somberly perched on a hill
over a town between Levoca and Poprad.")

BRATISLAVA (Country phone code: 42, city code: 07):
U.S. Embassy: Hviesdoslavovo 4 (33-59-32)
British Embassy: Panska 17 (33-59-22)
Main Post Office: Namestie SNP 36
24-hour pharmacy: Spitalska 3

Slovak Chamber of Commerce and Industry:
Gorkeho 9, 816 03 Bratislava
Ph: 333-846 or 362-681;  Fax: 310-754

Tourist Help:
BIPS:  Panska 18 (Ph: 33-37-15)
Satur Tours & Travel: Mileticova 1, 824 72 Bratislava.
Phone: 634-67; Fax: 21-26-64
*Satur has 54 offices throughout Slovakia, emphasizing tours within the
country, especially in the regions of Bratislava, the spa of Piestany,
and the High and Low Tatras.
Satur Bratislava: Jesenskeho 5 (526-24)
American Express c/o Tatratour:
Frantiskanske nam. 3
Ph: 33-58-52 or 201-5282, fax: 21-27-22 or 21-36-24

Tatra Air: (29-23-06)
CSA Airline: (33-12-30)
CSAD-Buses: (632-13)
Hydrofoil to Vienna & Budapest:
SPD (595-18)
Blue Danube Travel (36-22-62)

Car rentals:
Avis: (33-32-01)
Europcar/National: (22-02-85 or 34-08-41)
Hertz: (22-67-70 or 34-81-55)
Recar:  (33-34-20)
24-hour Emergency Tow: (36-37-11)

Streetcar & Bus Tickets:
5 Sk (must be purchased before boarding)
Taxis: (~10 Sk/km)
(ph. 311-311)

NOTE: It is impossible to list every restaurant and every hotel in every
town. Rather, I've selected recommended establishments at different price
ranges:
Some Hotels:
Expensive: Danube
Rybne nam. 1 (553-55)
Moderate: Zochova Chata
90001 Modra/Piesky (0704/922-991)
 * Note: 20 miles outside the city *
Inexpensive: Palace
Postova ul. 1 (33-36-56)

Some Dining:
Expensive: Klastorna vinaren
Frantiskanska ul. (33-04-30)
Moderate: Korzo
Hviesdoslavovo nam. 11 (33-49-74)
Inexpensive: Stara Sladovna
Cintorinska 32 (511-01)
Some lunch, snack and people-watching joints:
Judy's Gallery (Beblaveho 4); Cafe Blankyt (Obchodna 48); "the bridge
Cafe" (Most SNP)

Some Clubs:
Mefisto (Panenska 24, no phone)
Rock Fabrik Danubius (Komanarska 3, no phone)
New Model Club (Obchodna 2, no phone)

Some Sights:
The Castle
Kapitulska ulica
Old Town Hall
Cerveny Kamen

HIGH TATRAS:

The Tatra mountains (Vysoke Tatry) are the northernmost and the highest
part of 1200 km (745.5 mile) long Carpathian bow. The main ridge follows
the west-east direction for the length of 78 km. (48.5 miles). The whole
area of Tatra mountains is 786 sq. km. (488.5 sq. miles). The mountains
are divided into three parts: Western and Eastern Tatras and the Lower
Tatras.
The Eastern Tatras consist of two parts - Vysoke Tatry (High Tatras) and
Belianske Tatry. The length of ridge of High Tatras is 26.5 km. (16.5
miles). and the highest peak is the Gerlachovsky stit (2655 m - 8711 ft).
Parallel to the Tatra ridge, but ca. 40 km (25 miles) to the south are
Nizke Tatry (Low Tatras) with the highest peak Dumbier (2043 m - 6703 ft)
and Chopok (2024 m - 6640.5 ft), the most attractive skiing resort in
Slovakia.
Tourist Help:
Satur: Stary Smokovec (0969/24-17)
           Poprad (092/232-62)
American Express c/o Tatratour:
Nam. Sv. Egidia 9, Poprad (092/637-12)
Police: (158)
Medical emergency: (24-44)
Car repair: (2704)

Mountain Rescue Unit: "Horska sluzba"
(0969/28-20)

Some Hotels
Poprad:
 Europa >Volkerova  ul. (092/327-44)<
Smokovec:
 Grand >Stary Smokovec (0969/21-54)<
Strbske Pleso:
 Patria (0969/925-91)
Some Dining
Smokovec:
 Tatranska Kuria (0969/2806)
Lomnica:
 Zbojnicka Koliba (0969/967-630)

CENTRAL REGION
>Banska Stiavnica and surroundings contain a unique system of man-made
lakes connected through a network of ditches used to deliver water to
mines some 500 years ago. Visit the technical museum and the museum of
mining (B. Stiavnica together with Banska Bela and Kremnica were
important mining towns - gold, silver, antimony). Banska Stiavnica at one
time might have been the third largest city of the Hungarian empire,
probably after Budapest and Bratislava (whatever their names were at that
time). You can still go into an actual mine. Also, you can visit a museum
of battles against the Turks in a lovely little castle above the town.
There is a larger castle in Antol, about 5 km south, that belonged to
rich families somehow related to Maria Theresia (I am probably ignorant
of historical facts, but the name Koburg pops up from somewhere). It is
full of furniture, pictures, and literally thousands of trophies. You
will see about 50 rooms used for different purposes. Part of the castle
is also used as a museum of wood industry and hunting.
For those who think there are no volcanoes in Slovakia, climb one of the
hills in Kremnicke vrchy (between Kremnica and Banska Bystrica) and look
east to see Polana. You will see the conically shaped caldera of the long
dead volcano...<

Tourist Help:
Satur: Tr. SNP 4, Banska Bystrica (088/24-25-75)
           Hodzova ul 9, Zilina (089/465-32)
American Express c/o Tatratour
Marianske nam. 21, Zilina (089/475-29)

Some Hotels & Restaurants:
Banska Bystrica (city phone code: 088)
Moderate:
 Lux  >Nove nam. 2  (241-41)<
 Narodny dom  >Narodna ul. (243-31)<
 Urpin >Ul. Jana Cikera 5  (245-56)<
Inexpensive:
 Motel Ulanka >Ulanska cesta (536-57)<
Zilina (phone code: 089)
 Slovakia >Nam. Ludovita Stura (465-72)<

EASTERN REGION:

>Roznava and surroundings:
Roznava: 700 years old town with mining tradition (gold, silver, copper).
Old  Miners Square (it really is a geometrical square) with Watch Tower
(used in the times of Turkish invasion) and the Museum of Minership.
Betliar: village 6 km from Roznava - old well-known Manor house
(re-opened after a long-time reconstruction) and a nice park.
Krasna Horka: village 7 km from Roznava  -  nice big castle on the hill,
last owner was the Earl Andrassy's family.
Gombasek: 10 km from Roznava  -  cave (calcium), camping available.
Domica:  20 km from Roznava - cave with an underground river (Styx) -
tour on small boats, the cave has two entrances (exits) - one on the
Slovak and one on the Hungarian territory, camping available.
Ochtina: village 25 km from Roznava - Aragonite cave, one of the only
three known aragonite caves in the world.
Dobsinska  Ladova  Jaskyna: 35  km  from  Roznava  - Ice cave, camping
available.
Dobsinska priehrada (dam): village Dedinky with a campsite. Good
windsurfing, but water is too cold for swimming.
Julius: 20 km from Roznava
Dobsina: 25 km from Roznava
Dedinky, Mlynky, Biele Vody: 35 km from Roznava
- in winter good condition for skiing, in summer trekking.
All these places are situated on the areas of either Slovensky raj
(Slovak Paradise) or Slovensky Kras (both protected National Parks).<

Tourist Help:
Satur: Rooseveltova 1, Kosice (095/231-23)
           Hlavna ul. 1, Presov (091/24042)
American Express c/o Tatratour
Alzbetina 6, Kosice (095/248-72)

Some Hotels & Restaurants:
Kosice (city phone code: 095)
Expensive:
 Slovan >Hlavna ul.1 (273-78)<
Moderate:
 Imperial  >Ul. Hrnciarska 1 (221-46)
Inexpensive:
 SD Medicka 2   -  it is a student hostel
 Restauracia Metropol >Sturova ul.

Presov (phone code: 091)
Moderate:
 Dukla  >Nam. Legionarov 2 (227-41)
Inexpensive:
Saris >Sabinovska 1 (463-51)

Some Sights:
Bardejov
Levoca
Slovensky Raj

NOTE: Much more detailed info on many subjects can be accessed via any of
the following methods:
-anonymous ftp: ftp.eunet.sk, subdirectory slovakia
-gopher: gopher.eunet.sk
-WWW (Mosaic etc): http://www.eunet.sk/

Further reading:
Fodor's travel guides (traditional)
Publisher: 201 E. 50th St. N.Y. 10022

Frommer's travel guides (middle of the road)
Publisher: Prentiss Hall
15 Columbus Circle, N.Y. 10023

Beadecker's (good graphics, maps. More expensive book)
Publisher: Prentiss Hall
15 Columbus Circle, N.Y. 10023

The Rough Guide by Rob Humphreys (good details on many sights)
Publisher: Rough Guides, Ltd
1 Mercer St. London, WC2H 9OJ

"Let's Go..." series (youth hostels & student accommodations)
Publisher: 1 Story St
Cambridge, MA 02138

TEXTBOOKS:
An excellent Slovak language course is available from Audio-Forum.  It
includes a 522-page instruction manual and 8 audio cassette tapes. The
downside is its price: $185.00.  For the brave souls who want to attempt
to learn Slovak without the tapes, Audio-Forum will sell the book
separately for $35.00.
  Their address and phone numbers are:
 "Beginning Slovak: A Course for the Individual or Classroom  Learner."
            By Oscar E. Swan and Sylvia Galova-Lorinc
                        Audio-Forum
                        96 Broad Street
                        Guilford, Connecticut 06437
                        Phone: (203) 453-9794
                        Fax:   (203) 453-9774
For those who want to purchase only the book, it might be available at a
lower price directly from the publisher:
                        Slavica Publishers, Inc.
                        PO Box 14388
                        Columbus, Ohio 43214

>Basic Slovak by Jozef Mistrik
>(isbn: 80-08-01333-8)
>Slovenske Pedagogicke Nakladatelstvo
>Sasinkova 5b
>815 60 Bratislava, Slovakia
>A bit dry, but one of the few things available, and for the princely sum
of Sk 50. Other than the Slovak bits, it's in English.

>> Jozef Mistrik / SLOVAK LANGUAGE
    Vydali (Published by) Ucebne pomocky, n.p., Banska Bystrica, 1985.

>>> "Slovencina pre krajanov hovoriacich po anglicky"
     ("A Slovak Textbook for English-Speaking Countrymen")
     published by Matica slovenska in Martin
     Authors: Jan Oravec & Jozef Prokop
>> We had borrowed this book from the Slovak embassy in Ottawa.
>> It contains 356 pages.

A useful phrase: "Dakujem, Ivan" (Thank you, Ivan ;-))

* All descriptions and opinions belong to the various members of the
Internet community.  I'm not responsible for any errors or omissions. You
can e at mail suggestions, corrections or additions to:
sever at husc.harvard.edu

"Ja nic - ja muzikant"