Anon. email

Marek Balaz comckito at savba.savba.sk
Mon Dec 18 10:56:57 CET 1995

Toto som volakedy okolo toho anon. email dostal

Marek

--
  __^__                                                              __^__
 ( ___ )------------------------------------------------------------( ___ )

------
ATTN: Eudora users, please see section 8.7!
ATTN: *NO* commercial advertising except to the newsgroups that welcome
      it.  To my knowledge this only means some biz-hierarchy newsgroups.
      If you say FREE that doesn't mean it's not a commercial posting.
ATTN: Personal ad posters, DO MAKE SURE the newsgroup you are posting to
      wants personal ads.  There are *many* personals newsgroups but
      i.e. alt.sex is not for personal ads.
ATTN: If you don't get the complete help file (the last section is 8.8),
      send a message to admin at anon.penet.fi with the subject: missing
      sections.

                  The anon.penet.fi Anonymous Server
                  ==================================

1) Safe Posting! (*Please read this section!*)

2) How to get an anon ID and help

3) Password
        3.1) How to set up a password
        3.2) How to use a password
        3.3) How to change your password
        3.4) Typical mistakes made in password usage

4) Mailing anonymously
        4.1) recipient at anon.penet.fi
        4.2) X-Anon-To: recipient

5) Posting articles to news anonymously
        5.1) news.group at anon.penet.fi
        5.2) X-Anon-To: news.group

6) Testing how the service works

7) Security

8) Miscellaneous
        8.1) Nickname
        8.2) Available newsgroups
        8.3) Talk of anon servers on newsgroups
        8.4) What if your e-mail address changes?
        8.5) inews error
        8.6) Mailing non-anonymously
        8.7) Eudora Users
        8.8) Deallocating your anonymous ID from the system

NEW:
#I have provided specific examples of what imaginary user joan at commercial.com
#would do to establish different things.  She wants a nickname "Ladylike" and
#password "45jhkg3425". She has the anon id an48 at anon.penet.fi.

Other version of help text available in other languages:
- German text available from german at anon.penet.fi (deutsch at anon.penet.fi).
- Italian text available from italian at anon.penet.fi (italiano at anon.penet.fi).

1) Safe posting!
================

Yes, another anonymous server. Why?  Well, several well-known servers have
bitten the dust recently. And most of them have served only a very limited
subset of newsgroups, and mail only to "registered", anonymous users.

Due to reasons too complicated to mention here I wanted to set up an anonymous
server for the Scandinavian user community. I got hold of a pre-release copy
of one of the server packages. As the version I got relied heavily on the
advanced features of MMDFII, I had to modify it quite a bit. While hacking
around, I removed the restriction of only supporting selected newsgroups.
Within a week of startup, the server had been discovered by transatlantic
users, and more recent stats show European users are definitely a minority.

So what does the anon server really do? Well, it provides a front for
sending mail messages and posting news items anonymously. As you send your
very first message to the server, it automatically allocates you an ID of
the form anNNN, and sends you a message containing the allocated ID. This ID
is used in all your subsequent anon posts/mails. Any mail messages sent to
your-ID at anon.penet.fi gets redirected to your original, real address. Any
reply is of course anonymized in the same way, so the server provides a
double-blind. You will not know the true identity of any user, unless she
chooses to reveal her identity explicitly.

In the anonymization process all headers indicating the true originator are
removed, and an attempt is made to remove any automatically-included
signatures, by looking for a line starting with two dashes (--), and zapping
everything from there on. But if your signature starts with anything else,
it's your own responsibility to remove it from your messages.

The user-ID database is based on RFC822-ized forms of your originating
address. This may cause problems for some users, either because their site
is not properly registered in the name servers, resulting in
non-deterministic addresses, or because their mail router doesn't hide the
identity of individual workstations, resulting in different originating
addresses depending on which workstation you mail from. Talk to your
administrator. If that doesn't help, let me know, and I will make a manual
re-mapping.

You might wonder about the sense of using a server out somewhere, as the
song goes, "so close to Russia, so far from Japan". Well, the polar bears
don't mind, and the ice on the cables don't bother too much :-)
Well, in fact, as we live in a wonderfully networked world, the major delay
is not going over the atlantic, but my local connection to the Finnish EUnet
backbone, fuug.fi. Once you reach a well-connected host, such as
uunet.uu.net, there's a direct SMTP connection to fuug.fi. My connection to
fuug.fi is currently a polled connection over ISDN, soon to be upgraded to
on-demand-SMTP/NNTP. But for now, expect a turn-around delay of 2-4 hours for
trans-atlantic traffic.

As the server was originally intended to be used by scandinavians, it
includes help files for various languages. This works by using the
language in question as the address. So to get the german help file,
send a message to german at anon.penet.fi (or deutsch at anon.penet.fi).
Support for new languages is added every now and then, when I find
volunteers to do the translation. Any new ones?

I have gotten a couple of comments about permitting anonymous postings to
technical groups. I can only answer that I believe very firmly that it's not
for me to dictate how other people ought to behave. Somebody might have a
valid reason for posting anonymously to a group I might consider "technical".
But remember anonymous postings are a privilege, and use them accordingly.
I believe adult human beings can behave responsibly. Please don't let me down.

And remember this is a service that some people (in groups such as
alt.sexual.abuse.recovery) _need_. Please don't do anything stupid that
would force me to close down the service. As I am running my own company,
there is very little political pressure anyone can put on me, but if
somebody starts using the system for criminal activities, the authorities
might be able to order me to shut down the service. I don't particularly
want to find out, however...

2) How to get an ID and help
============================

Send a message to "ping at anon.penet.fi" to get an anonymous ID.  If you
already have an anon id, this will send you a response with your anonymous
ID in the message body.

If you send a message to "help at anon.penet.fi", you will receive this help
text.

If you want help or have some questions, send mail to "admin at anon.penet.fi".
Mail to "admin" goes directly to me unanonymized, and can be used to
report problems. If you want to send mail to me anonymously, you can use
"an0" or "an1".

#Examples:
# To: ping at anon.penet.fi
# To: help at anon.penet.fi

3) Password

Once you have set up a password you have to use it in every single
message you send via anon.penet.fi.  It is advisable that you establish
a password right away.

3.1) To set up a password

The password can be any string of upper- or lowercase characters and digits.

Syntax:
- -----

Mailer's headers:       To: password at anon.penet.fi