OffToppic? Microsoft & Hotmail >-]]

Lada vpetr at bigfoot.com
Sun Jun 28 23:41:35 CEST 1998

Hotmail, now owned by The Microsoft Corporation
^^^^^^^
This free Web-based e-mail service runs a mixture of Sun Solaris and FreeBSD. Apache 1.2.1 is the Web server software. After Microsoft purchased the company in December 1997, they tried to migrate to NT, but ". . . the demands of supporting 10 million users reportedly proved too great for NT, and Solaris was reinstated."

Full story: Solaris calls Hotmail shots for Microsoft
http://www.kirch.net/unix-nt/hotmail.html

__
US Postal Services : Linux cte Vas dopis: http://members.aa.net/~jtaves/linux.htm

http://members.aa.net/~jtaves/ocr.htm
"Once the address is recognized, a bar code is sprayed on the front of the mail piece that contains an 11 digit zip code. That bar code is then used to sort the mail as it works its way through the postal system. I designed the system of Linux computers and OCR software for the USPS that was deployed system wide in 1997. My OCR algorithms are being used to read your mail."