ZDTV Guide, 3.16.98 (fwd)

Petr Nachtmann petrnach at web.natur.cuni.cz
Tue Mar 17 15:26:14 CET 1998

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 22:15:12 -0500 (EST)
From: ZDTV Guide <zdtvguide at zdnet.zdlists.com>
To: zdtvguide at email.zdlists.com
Subject: ZDTV Guide, 3.16.98

(...)

T H I S   W E E K   O N   Z D T V . c o m

(...)

C y b e r   C r i m e___________________________________________

In Part One of our two-part feature, meet Jayne Hitchcock-- an
international author whose virtual and actual worlds were nearly
destroyed by online harassment. After she attempted to warn fellow
authors about the Woodside Literary Agency's reading and marketing
fees, Hitchcock became the target of a vicious, online stalking
campaign. The online agency allegedly used Hitchcock's name to send
a barrage of fake newsgroup postings and emails, some of which were
sexually explicit.

  http://zdtv.zdnet.com/zdtv/Site/StoryFrameSet/0,1163,228,99.html

In Part Two, read how Hitchcock plunged into the legal world,
determined to change the system that failed to protect her. In
December, she filed a $10 million lawsuit against the Woodside
Literary Agency, contending that the online publishing agency
threatened both her professional standing and physical safety. And
in order to save others from becoming targets, Hitchcock testified
in support of New Jersey Senate Bill 222, which would make computer
harassment a crime punishable by up to three years in prison

  http://zdtv.zdnet.com/zdtv/Site/StoryFrameSet/0,1163,230,99.html

(...)