Co na to Arlene Rinaldi?

Vladimir Vrabec vrabec at cs.felk.cvut.cz
Thu Nov 3 13:34:55 CET 1994

V net se nam rozjela docela dobre zajimava diskuze, ktera neni jen specificka
pro nase pomery. V soucasne dobe bezi neco podobneho v NETTRAIN (viz
napr. bit.listserv.nettrain). Dovoluji si upozornit na zajimave vystoupeni
A. Rinaldi, zname autority v otazkach NETIQUETTE.
                                                    Vladimir Vrabec
--------------------------Original message follows:--------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 12:06:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Arlene Rinaldi <RINALDI at ACC.FAU.EDU>

Two discussions are brewing on this list that relate in many forms
to each other.  "Porn on the Net" and "Netiquette in one day".
What I see it breaking down as, is educating users of the Internet
of the Internet's own culture.  A culture that is global, but it's own
none the less.

When I first started working on the Internet (about 5 years ago),
there were much fewer people that worked with the Internet, and of
course many fewer resources.  Back then, there was an unspoken
"gentlemen's agreement" to act and respond in a certain way while
working on the Internet, if not -expect to be flamed and possibly even
lose Internet access depending upon how flagrantly you abused the
"rules".  I don't think things have changed all that much even though
resources are much greater now and the types of people that are coming
on-line are much more diverse.  If Microsoft's claims of including
TCP/IP access in the near future come to fruition, the numbers
and diversity will grow in the millions.

> From: Paul F. Burton <paul at dis.strath.ac.uk>
>
> The technology has moved so fast, legislation has not been able to keep up,
> and if and when legislation does catch up, I suspect it will have to be
> international, rather than purely national.  If that happens, what will
> this legislation look like, when, as Martin says, the innocuous in the
> Netherlands is offensive in Oklahoma?  Will it deal with the lowest common
> denominator?  Could we agree on what is offensive to *everyone*

I think that the lowest common denominator that has seemed to be
"accepted" by all is *common courtesy and respect*.  Being responsible
and showing respect to any receipient or system on the Internet are
its "rules".  And being *educated* enough to understand that if you
abuse a resource, it may effect will everyone on the Internet.

Legislature is already in effect and it is "policed" by the Internet
culture itself.  Take spamming for instance (sending one message to
thousands of people or newsgroups).  Try it-- if you do, you take the
risk of the "Internet Community" taking matters into their own hands
by sending "thousands" of email messages back to you or your systems
administrator with dire results.

> my postgraduate students are about to start exploring the resources of the
> net through email lists and the Web (with Mosaic): I've told them that they
> may come across material they consider offensive, but it is part of the
> freedom of the 'net.

That in itself is the whole issue.  It is the Net itself.  If
something on it is offensive, don't look at it, or read it.  If I took
my child to a tribe in Africa to let her experience the culture of it,
would I ask the woman there that normally walk around "topless" to
cover up?? - No, then she would not understand the diversity of other
cultures.  I am bound (as are most people) by my city, state and
federal laws.. If broken, whether in my home (that would effect
others), at a supermarket, or on the Internet, I am responsible and can be
arrested and charged for breaking the rules..  That's life folks..
Let the local and federal police handle me and my irresponsibility..
On the Internet, I can experience a new global culture and if I am
irresponsible or discourteous, the Internet community will handle me.

>  From: J. Ellsworth <ellswort at tenet.edu>
>

> > I think netiquette is too narrow for a whole day -- how about appropriate
> > uses, good practices, emphasizing the "gift economy" of the Internet, and
> > ways in which you can contribute back to the net. Exhortations towards
> > general civility on Usenet. Using gophers and ftp on off-peak times, not
> > tying up the only line for hours on end,
>
> I'd cover being a good list member, appropriate participation -- like
> summaries to the list, the use of communicons, and of course netiquette.
>
> In other words, I would put a whole range of good practices, common
> sense, and having a sense of style into it and call it netiquette.

Also, ethics, culture, security, responsibility, the history of
communication and the new ways in which people are communicating..
A whole day seems too short now..

      Arlene H. Rinaldi - Academic/Institutional Support Services
    Education/Training - Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL
         Internet: RINALDI at ACC.FAU.EDU  Bitnet: RINALDI at FAUVAX
         Home Page: http://rs6000.adm.fau.edu/faahr/arlene.html