Jeste jednou Arlene Rinaldi

Vladimir Vrabec vrabec at cs.felk.cvut.cz
Wed Nov 9 18:38:52 CET 1994

--------------------------Original message follows:--------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 1994 09:48:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Arlene Rinaldi <RINALDI at ACC.FAU.EDU>

Sometimes I answer a question to a remote user regarding the document,
The Net: User Guidelines and Netiquette, and I think of other
Nettrainers that might find the response useful regarding a
certain topic.  This response sort of goes hand in hand with the thred on
Netiquette and Ethics that has been going around.  Hope you find this
useful for your users, or maybe some of you might want to add some
points or comments.

Here is the forwarded message.  I kept the recipients anonymity, to
insure his privacy.

> I read your Netiquette manual on the Internet.  How can someone other
> than the sender or the recipient intercept/read an e-mail message and
> does that happen frequently???

All system's managers have access to user files on their systems.
Email is basically just a file that gets stored in your default area
on whatever system you work from, whether it be Unix, Vax, a Novell
network....  Whether or not they look at the files/email depends on the
system manager.  Most do not have the time or would not even have the
inclination to bother.  Some are more curious than others.  Some
institutions and corporations tell the user that mail may be
monitored.  Generally it is high end corporations that fear users are
selling trade secrets to compeditors via email.

Also, not only on your own system, but when that email gets sent
through to other computer systems (in it's email travels), the system
managers at those sites could conceivably, stop the mail, look at it,
then send it on.  But once again, it would take the effort on the part
of the system manager, and I believe that that is rarely done.
Definitely *unethical*.  Plus mail is generally sent so fast (within
seconds), that it would take a pre-planned motive, to shut down the
mail router, and view mail files stored in their mail queues.

Also, mail has the possibility of bouncing.  The user would then
receive a message from postmaster that the mail bounced for whatever
reason.  But not only do you get your message back with a tagged on
"postmaster" reply, but the system's postmaster (an actual
HUMAN, generally the system's manager)  also receives a copy of the
message.  The purpose of this is to help his/her user figure out the
problem of why mailed bounced and possibly help.  Hopefully, that
bounced mail is not embarrassing, compromising or unethical (selling
trade secrets, or selling pornographic materials), because it can
conceivably be read by the postmaster or even the FBI that may setup
"monitoring" sites along the Internet route.  That is why the
standard rule in sending email, is "Don't send anything you
would not mind seeing on the evening news".

There is a big brew-ha-ha going on regarding encryption (a program
that scrambles your mail, then you can unscramble it again with a key,
i.e. password).  The government wants it outlawed and they want the
Internet community (in the United States), to only use Clipper, their
own devised encryption package.  They say they are protecting the best
interest of the country and securing it from possible terrorist
threats or highly illegal activity.  The Internet Community of course
says *NO WAY*, we want our privacy, not a "Big Brother Is Watching
YOU" Internet..  More and more encryption packages are popping up because
people are realizing that what they send to others is not secure..  I
have myself a home brewed encryption package, that I use when I want
to ensure that my mail is read by no one other than myself or the
recipient, but pretty soon, they may cart me away for doing nothing
more than protecting my privacy.

There are several LISTSERV's that discuss these issues and a usenet
group called alt.privacy.  If you need anymore information or you
would like to voice your concerns, you should really subscribe to
those discussion groups.  You should also educate others about these
issues and get people motivated to fight and protect fiercely their
individual right to privacy.

      Arlene H. Rinaldi - Academic/Institutional Support Services
    Education/Training - Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL
         Internet: RINALDI at ACC.FAU.EDU  Bitnet: RINALDI at FAUVAX
         Home Page: http://rs6000.adm.fau.edu/faahr/arlene.html