vra> Scout Report - March 3, 1995 (fwd)

Vladimir Vrabec vrabec at cs.felk.cvut.cz
Mon Mar 6 09:08:39 CET 1995

||                                                                    ||
                           The Scout Report
                             March 3, 1995

             A Service to the Internet Community Provided by
       the Info Scout and InterNIC Directory & Database Services
||____________________________________________________________________||

The Scout Report is a weekly publication offering a selection of new and
newly discovered Internet resources of interest to researchers and
educators, the InterNIC's primary audience. However everyone is welcome to
subscribe to one of the mailing lists (plain text or HTML) or visit the
Web version of the Scout Report on the InterNIC server:

http://www.internic.net/infoguide.html

Additional information and detailed access and subscription instructions
are included at the end of each Scout Report.

Highlights In This Week's Report:

*  NTIA Announces Availability of FY95 NII Grants (proposals due April 20)
   [Repeated from last week in case you missed it.]
*  The National Press Club offers a quality resource for journalists.
*  PBS establishes a new "neighborhood" in cyberspace.
*  CIC Electronic Journals Collection at CICNet
*  Addicted to Noise, a new rock e-zine. [ Wasn't it that *older* generation
   that called it "noise"?! ]

World Wide Web
________________

1901: A Journey Through Yosemite via Stereograms, is on the Web thanks to
Patch American High School, Stuttgart, Germany. Take a walk back in time!
Experience the 19th Century version of "virtual reality" via a new exhibit
at Patch American High School, among the first K-12 Web servers in the
world. The Yosemite exhibit is a new addition to our Virtual Travel Center
which features the "Mercedes Museum", "Stuttgart", "Vietnam", and others.
See also the Patch Stereogram Project section which features the history
of stereograms and some recent examples. [Note that the URL wraps to a
second line.]
http://192.253.114.31/Projects/stereograms/Stereoscopic_Photographs/
Stereoscopic_Photographs.html

Discovery Communications (better known as The Discovery Channel and The
Learning Channel) has announced the launch of a pilot Internet site
designed to help teachers, students, and their educational partners devise
innovative uses of Discovery programming.  The Discovery Learning
Community provides resources, relationships and collaborative tools to
promote academic inquiry and knowledge building.
http://ericir.syr.edu/Discovery/ gopher to:  ericir.syr.edu
   select Other Education Networks/ Discovery Learning Community

The Environmental Biology Program of Boyce Thompson Inst. for Plant
Research at Cornell University is now on the Web offering information on
research focusing on the interaction of plants and the environment. The
research spans many levels of biological organization, from individual
plant organs to ecosystems and beyond. This site provides details about
our staff, facilities, and the many research projects in the program.
Reprints of publications can also be ordered.
http://birch.cit.cornell.edu

India Online, webs together World Wide Web pages from around the world to
provide information pertaining to India and countries of the Indian
subcontinent. The location is intended to be a one-stop kiosk for
information on Indian Subcontinent. Information on travel, food, culture
news, telecommunication, international trade etc. can be found.
http://IndiaOnline.com

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has announced that their Food
and Consumer Service, which oversees the Food Stamp Program, school meals
programs, WIC, and a dozen other nutrition programs, has established a
bulletin board system on FedWorld, an electronic marketplace for federal
program information.
http://www.fedworld.gov
   select Health Mall/ Food and Consumer Service

MetaCenter Computational Science Highlights Web Page: The NSF-funded
supercomputer centers; the Cornell Theory Center (CTC), the National
Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), the National Center for
Supercomputing Applications (NCSA), Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
(PSC), and San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC) have created the
MetaCenter Computational Science Highlights, a repository of multimedia
computational science articles for the World Wide Web. Stories feature:
modeling blood flow in the human heart; simulating the behavior of cancer
genes and enzyme/inhibitor complexes vital to the design of new drugs;
the Shoemaker-Levy comet's impact on Jupiter; and the discovery of the
first planet known to exist outside of our solar system. Browsers will
also find information on both Pacific and Atlantic Ocean systems,
including a high-resolution animation of the general circulation of the
North Atlantic. Computational Science Highlights can be accessed via the
World Wide Web at any of the following addresses:
http://www.tc.cornell.edu/Research/MetaScience/
http://www.ucar.edu/METASCI/Welcome/welcome.html
http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SCMS/Metascience/Home/welcome.html
http://pscinfo.psc.edu/MetaCenter/MetaScience/welcome.html
http://www.sdsc.edu/MetaScience/welcome.html.

The Microelectromechanical Systems Research Page at Case Western Reserve
University: Microelectromechanical Systems (MEMS) is currently
revolutionizing the field of sensors and actuators through the use of new
techniques and processes. MEMS focuses on development of tiny
electromechanical devices for a diverse range of applications such as
miniature accelerometers for air-bag systems and disposable blood pressure
sensors (many other applications are being hotly researched).
http://mems6.cwru.edu/WWW/roy

The National Graffiti Information Network is an organization which
specializes in crime and graffiti prevention.
http://www.infowest.com/NGIN/

The new National Press Club WWW site at gives Club members, journalists
and the general public unprecedented access to this professional and
social organization for journalists that is one of Washington D.C.'s most
prestigious institutions.  It includes Internet access to speeches and
press conferences at the Club, which make the national news on a daily
basis.  It also contains a comprehensive but concise collection of
Internet resources for journalistic research, designed to be the best
available tool for journalists seeking information from the Internet as
deadline approaches.
http://town.hall.org/places/npc/

PBS has launched a new "Neighborhood" on the Web which begins with an
audio welcome message from Fred Rogers of the popular PBS series Mister
Rogers' Neighborhood. The site provides access to searchable monthly
program listings, including air dates, times and descriptions, as well as
information on how to obtain products related to PBS programs; educational
program guides with activities for K-12 classrooms and a hyperlink
directory of Internet sites with K-12 resources; links to many public
television stations and related organizations offering extensive
information on the Web; and information about college-credit telecourses
available through the PBS Adult Learning Service.
http://www.pbs.org

Gopher
__________

The Association of Biomolecular Resource Facilities (ABRF) server contains
information of interest to anyone involved in providing services for
synthesis, sequencing, or use of DNA and protein.
gopher to: riley.bs.jhu.edu

The Tables of Contents Inc., gopher consists of the most recent covers and
tables of contents of 166 leading magazines, organized into the following
five subject areas: Computers, Sports, Science, Music & Entertainment, and
Electronic & Computer Games.  It is updated weekly and new magazines are
being added all the time.
gopher to:  mag-browse.com

The National Micropopulation Simulation Resource is funded by the National
Institutes of Health Center for Research Resources. The purpose of the
Resource is to promote Monte Carlo simulation of structured
micropopulations in biomedical research. The emphasis is on development of
simulation and analysis methodologies and software tools, with broad
application to studies in epidemiology, genetics and demography.
gopher to:  dragon.labmed.umn.edu

Walden University offers doctoral programs "over the 'Net" in the areas of
Administration/Management, Education, Health Services, and Human Services.
gopher to:   gopher.waldenu.edu

The Communications for a Sustainable Future (CSF) was founded on the idea
that computer networking should be used to enhance communications with the
objective of working through disparate views and ideologies to secure a
more promising future.  The contents of the archives and the quality of
communications on the CSF lists are intended to reflect this purpose.
Additional materials are accepted for dissemination through CSF.  Topics
include the Conflict Consortium, Economics, Environment, Feminist
Scholarship, Foreign Policy, International Political Economy, Peace,
Progressive Sociology, Service-Learning, and World Systems.
gopher to:  csf.colorado.edu

The CIC Electronic Journals Collection (CIC-EJC) is a new collaborative
initiative between CICNet and the librarians of the CIC member
institutions to create a professionally managed collection of electronic
journals of scholarly importance. This collection is intended to be
distinct from the existing 600 journal CICNet Electronic Serials server in
tone, content, and scope. The process of selecting CIC-EJC titles has
begun and measures will be taken to ensure the completeness of holdings of
titles that have been identified. The content of the CIC-EJC will be
continually monitored by key librarians at the CIC member institutions.
gopher to:  gopher.cic.net

Gopher Servers in Slovakia:  A dozen new gopher servers are available in
Slovakia, including those at the Slovak Technical University, Slovak
Academy of Sciences, University of Transport and Communications,
University of Agriculture, Astronomical Institute Tatranska, Military
Academy Liptovsky, and the Forest Research Institute. Some English is
interspersed throughout. Select "Gopher Servers in Slovakia" from the menu
at the address below.
gopher to:  gopher.uakom.sk

National Information Infrastructure

NTIA Announces Availability of FY95 NII Grants

gopher to:   ntiaunix1.ntia.doc.gov
   choose:  Hot Off the Press

NetBytes
____________

O'Reilly and associates has just released a new book titled _Running
Linux_, which covers "everything you need in order to understand, install,
and use the Linux operating system." Topics include: the background and
concepts of the Linux system; a comprehensive installation tutorial that
will lead you through the steps of configuring Linux on your machine from
any distribution; a chapter on UNIX basics, designed especially for Linux
users; complete information on Linux system administration and
maintenance, from managing user accounts, to repairing filesystems, to
upgrading software, to building a new kernel; full installation and
configuration information for XFree86 3.1. By Matt Welsh & Lar Kaufman,
600 pages, ISBN: 1-56592-100-3

MultiMedia WWW PC - v. 2.0 Upgrade: MM-WWW-PC specs have been developed to
fill the existing gap between the power of WWW in retrieving information,
and the flexibility of PCs in running interactive hypermedia applications.
This makes MM-WWW-PC particularly suitable for Distance Education
purposes. Following step by step the procedures described on the Web page,
you will be able to distribute your interactive PC applications using WWW,
and the remote user will be able to launch them with a single mouse click
from the Web page. New important features have been added to the previous
release, such as the possibility to instruct automatically the browser to
connect to an URL or print the contents of the page displayed. For more
information contact Paolo Tosolini, Italy
tosolini at psicosun.univ.trieste.it
http://www.univ.trieste.it/mmwwwpc/mmwwwpc.html

The Cryptography, PGP, and Your Privacy Web page contains links to many of
the Web's resources on cryptography, as well as lots of documentation on
the popular PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) encryption program for PCs, Macs,
and UNIX machines. It also contains a page of links to many
privacy-related Web resources.
http://draco.centerline.com:8080/~franl/crypto.html

Weekend Scouting
___________________

Addicted to Noise -- Rock Journalism leaps into cyberspace with "addicted
to Noise", a monthly online rock magazine mixing features, sound samples,
photography and graphics. Unlike print magazines that spawn on-line
version, ATN is only available on line. Scan album reviews or artist
profiles, see CD cover art, then listen to song and interview clips.
Latest is REM and the MC5. (Rolling Stone #702, February 23, 1995)
http://www.addict.com/ATN/

1995 Kaibab Mountain Bike Tour Guide: If you've never mountain biked Moab,
Utah you've never mountain biked. [Or so they say.]
http://www.netpub.com/kaibab/

The Kronos Quartet is a twice Grammy-nominated string quartet which plays
almost exclusively contemporary music. These Kronos pages contain a
discography, concert schedule, discussion forum, and lots of other
information, and also links to many related resources on the net.
http://www.nwu.edu/music/kronos/

About the Scout Report
_____________________

  The Scout Report is a weekly publication offered by the InterNIC to the
Internet community as a fast, convenient way to stay informed about
network activities. Its purpose is to combine in one place selected new
(and newly-discovered) Internet resources.

  A wide range of topics are included in the Report with an emphasis on
resources thought to be of interest to the InterNIC's primary audience,
the research and education community.  Each resource has been verified
for substantial content and accessibility within a day of the release of
the Report.

  The Scout Report is provided in multiple formats -- mailing lists for
both a plain text and HTML version;  gopher; and World Wide Web. The
gopher and World Wide Web versions of the Report include links to all
listed resources. The report is released every weekend.

  In addition to the plain text version, the Scout Report is distributed in
HTML format allowing sites to post the Scout Report on local WorldWideWeb
servers each week. The result is faster access for local users. You are
welcome and encouraged to re-post and re-distribute the report. Note that
copyright statements appear on all versions of the Scout Report, and we
ask that these be included when re-posting or re-distributing.

  If you haven't yet subscribed or told your friends and colleagues, now
is the time. Spread the news by word-of-net. Join 20,000 of your
colleagues already using the Scout Report as a painless tool for tracking
what's new on the 'Net!

Comments and contributions to the Scout Report are encouraged and can be
sent to scout at internic.net

-- Susan Calcari
    InterNIC Info Scout

Scout Report Access Methods
a week -- the Scout Report every weekend.

send email to:     majordomo at dstest.internic.net

in the body of the message, type:

   subscribe scout-report

to unsubscribe to the list, repeat this procedure substituting the word
"unsubscribe" for subscribe.

**  To receive the Scout Report in HTML format for local posting,
subscribe to the scout-report-html mailing list, used exclusively to
distribute the Scout Report in HTML format once a week.

send mail to:   majordomo at dstest.internic.net

in the body of the message, type:

  subscribe scout-report-html

**  To access the hypertext version of the Report, point your WWW client to:

http://www.internic.net/infoguide.html

>> Gopher users can tunnel to:

is.internic.net

select:  Information Services/Scout Report.

Resource Addressing Conventions
_______________________________

After each resource in the Scout Report one or more network addresses are
listed. Every attempt is made to use the same convention in each listing
for the network address of each resource. It is assumed that users
recognize the type of address and know how to use it. However, for those
users unfamiliar with the Internet we provide here the order in which
addresses are listed (by network tool) and instructions for accessing
additional information in the InterNIC InfoGuide about each network tool.
A brief explanation of one tool, WWW is included below.

The four network tools referenced most often in the Scout Report are
World Wide Web, gopher, email, and FTP.  Occasionally WAIS and Telnet
addresses are also listed.

After each resource at least one address is listed, and sometimes more.
This is because some resources are available using multiple network
tools. The network tool addresses are always listed in the same order
after each resource:

World Wide Web (WWW)
Gopher
FTP
Email
Telnet
WAIS

A WWW address is called a URL (Uniform Resource Locator) and always
begins with a string of characters followed by a colon and two forward
slashes. For example:

http://www.internic.net/
gopher://gibbs.oit.unc.edu:70/11/research.d/grants.d
ftp://ftp.digex.net/pub/access/hecker/internet/slip-ppp.txt

To access the resource through the WWW you can use a WWW browser
installed on your desktop computer, or a "command-line" WWW client on
your local Internet host computer. Web browsers are available for all
major computer platforms, including Macintosh, PC, and UNIX. Check with
your local support center or your Internet Service Provider for more
information about Web browsers installed on the Internet host computer or
for your desktop computer.

||                                                                    ||

Copyright Susan Calcari, 1995.
Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of the Scout
Report provided the copyright notice, this permission notice, and the two
paragraphs below are preserved on all copies.

The InterNIC provides information about the Internet and the resources on
the Internet to the US research and education community under a
cooperative agreement with the National Science Foundation. The Government
has certain rights in this material.

Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in
this publication are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect
the views of the National Science Foundation, AT&T, or Network Solutions,
Inc.