GNU Step

Petr Snajdr SNAJDR at student.vszbr.cz
Mon Mar 27 12:52:07 CEST 1995

From: lsn92 at ecs.soton.ac.uk (L S Ng)
Subject: LinuxSTEP, GNUSTEP, GNU OpenStep, NeXTSTEP
Date: 20 Mar 1995 16:28:00 -0000

How do you stop Bill Gates from taking over the world? Perhaps only
Linus Torvalds plus Steve Jobs can do that.

We need an OS which can rival Windwos NT in terms of functionality and
availability. We then need a GUI which is sexier than Windows and as
easily available.

Is plain Linux alone enough to do so? No, Linux hasn't got the sexy GUI
Microsoft has. WINE - the Windows Emulator? Emulator can't be better
than the original.

We need NeXTSTEP - the GUI which is sexier than Windows.  Can we have
NeXTSTEP on Linux? Yes, with GNUSTEP or GNU OpenStep we can.  Find out
more from http://fvkma.tu-graz.ac.at/gnustep/gnustep.html.  NeXTSTEP is
an alternative to Windows.  GNU OpenStep is the NeXTSTEP for the masses.

A Chinese proverb goes 'to kill with a borrowed knife'. This is a game
between the GNU Generation vs. Microsoft. Linux is a knife borrowed from
the grand Unix tradition. NeXTSTEP, in the form of OpenStep, is another
knife borrowed from Steve Jobs.

Users of NeXTMail knew that email is perhaps the most important
application in a GUI.  The Mail program in Windows 95 is a real killer
application.  Only NeXTMail can be better.  When Windows 95 is released,
expect to see the abandonment of plain old Unix Mail in favour of
Windows Mail.  When this happen, other Unix users will realise how badly
they need something like NeXTMail.